What are symptoms of depression?
Depression does not manifest only as never-ending negative thinking. Most of the symptoms, depending on the severity and the type of depression, affect the body directly.
Some examples are
- Reduced appetite and weight loss or increased cravings for food and weight gain
- Anxiety, agitation or restlessness
- Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
- Tiredness and lack of energy, so even small tasks take extra effort
Methods based on dance movement therapy and body awareness, which include listening to spontaneous movements, are reliable rehabilitation tools.
These methods can serve to express emotions trapped in the body and to open up to the world while overcoming the fear of being judged and the social stigma about depression.
What will happen during your session?
In our sessions we will focus on the following areas
- Exercises and activities aiming to increase self-awareness and psychomotor activity levels or movement engagement factors. Example: You will move and name what you feel or don’t feel.
- Techniques that are intended to revitalise and to process negative/aggressive impulses and to enhance effective mood modulation, encourage bodily resources and support self-regulation. Example: Using movement to distract you from constant rumination in thoughts.
- Interventions that focus on strengths and capabilities to address negative self-evaluation, self demarcation and somatic depersonalisation. Example: Challenging warm-up/ movement routines to build up every week to use as a resource of self-reflection.
- Body-based work that focuses specifically on individual stories, unmet needs and traumas to reconsider self-destructive tendencies and enable a more constructive attitude.Example: We will tell your personal stories while moving together, make them tangible and real again, we relive an experience that might be still causing pain.
Encourage bodily resources and support self regulation
Expat Somatic Therapy
Results of somatic therapy in case of depression
Create more body awareness
Refine your sensory perceptions
Make more meaningful connection with yourself and others
Awaken and explore your inner child
Release physical and emotional tensions
(Re) discover and inspire yourself
Incorporate more playfulness in your life
Achieving personal designed goals
Finding your own rhythm